What are the Next Steps to Take After My Pleasanton 18 Wheeler Accident?
An 18-wheeler presents a much greater road hazard to smaller sedans and passenger vehicles. The result of an 18-wheeler collision can be truly calamitous to other motorists, and the approximately 9,000 drivers living in the South Texas town of Pleasanton are no exception.
Due to their greater size and weight, vehicles of this magnitude pose a significant hazard to surrounding traffic. Road conditions can also pose a constant threat, especially during seasons of inclement weather, and the area’s country roads constantly produce road hazards and decreased visibility that further endanger those sharing the road with larger vehicles.
If you have been involved in a collision with a semi-truck in Pleasanton and wondering, “what are the next steps to take after my Pleasanton 18-wheeler accident,” the law offices of Carabin & Shaw want you to know how to protect yourself, and if you need our services, that we have a Pleasanton 18-wheeler accident lawyer prepared to fight for your right to compensation and recovery.
The more you know now, the better prepared you will be later to obtain compensation, and knowing what next steps to take after an 18-wheeler accident in Pleasanton is vital to starting your accident claim in the best possible way. Keep this checklist of most common points to ensure at the scene of the wreck close to your insurance information.
- Make sure your vehicle has come to a stop in a safe place, such as the shoulder or the side of the road. If not, move the vehicle if it is safe to do so.
- Check yourself and your passengers for injuries; in an 18-wheeler accident, always call 911 for police and emergency medical services immediately.
- Put on your emergency signal blinkers to alert and divert traffic from the accident.
- Check for injured drivers and passengers of other vehicles, and render life-saving assistance if necessary and able.
- If no one requires life-saving assistance, try to make the scene of the accident as least dangerous as possible. If you can’t move your car out of traffic, remove yourself from the vehicle and stand as far away as possible.
- If the truck driver is alert and unharmed, ask he provide required documentation, such as his CDL, truck number, and insurance information.
- Get contact information for all witnesses to the accident, as well as other drivers caught in the collision.
- Assess damages of your vehicle and take pictures of the accident from all angles.
- Report the accident to your insurance company, but do not make any assessment of blame or cause of the accident.
- Do not discuss the nature of the accident with other drivers or witnesses beyond what is minimally necessary. Your words could be used as testimony against your claim.
- Consult with a lawyer specializing in 18-wheeler accidents before talking to the trucking company or its insurance provider.
It is of the utmost importance that you seek complete and comprehensive medical care after an 18-wheeler accident. The injuries victims often sustain have a tendency to have long-term care needs or permanent consequences. It is just as important to speak to an experienced Pleasanton 18-wheeler accident attorney, as these injuries and damages are often expensive, and you have to make sure the liable parties will be there to cover costs of such potentially tragic consequences as:
- Brain and spinal damage
- Serious urns
- Broken bones
Thankfully, an experienced and dedicated attorney who specializes in commercial truck accident cases can help. The Pleasanton trucking lawyers from Carabin & Shaw are highly trained to carefully sift through the facts of each individual case, attain commercial driver records, and research the details of each claim to make sure culpability for an accident lies with the appropriate parties.
In many of these cases, transportation companies share some part of the blame with their drivers. Despite more strict regulations on hiring and background check practices and a decrease in acceptable work hours for truck drivers, many corporations and companies continue to ignore the wellbeing of their own drivers and those with whom they share the road, electing instead to focus on their profits. Our lawyers understand this and will stop at nothing to provide fair representation if you become a victim of the trucking industry’s neglect.
If you or a loved one has been affected by a semi-truck related accident in Pleasanton, you need the help of a qualified and experienced attorney to ensure you receive the care and compensation that you deserve. Call the lawyers from Carabin & Shaw in Pleasanton at 830.569.7050 or toll-free at 800-862-1260 for your free initial consultation today.