What To Do After Hurricane Harvey in Rockport
As a survivor or Hurricane Harvey, you may need to engage with a Rockport Hurricane Harvey insurance claims lawyer. As a resident of Rockport, Texas, who has suffered losses due to the destructive force of Hurricane Harvey, whether the losses are major or minor, the settlement amount offered by your insurance adjuster may not be what you anticipated or felt the compensation package should be.
It may very well be that many of the thousands of Rockport hurricane claims submitted this year will be processed with little or no discrepancies; however, if you are a claimant who has been offered a settlement amount significantly less than what you feel it should be, or worse, your claim has been denied, our attorneys serving Rockport would like to offer you a free consultation about your situation and your options. Carabin & Shaw lawyers specializing in disaster recovery claims will review your policy, your claim, and the adjuster’s decision, and will then provide you with expert counsel specific to your case.
As you work to recover from the devastation your family has experienced, there are a number of steps you can take as you consider what to do after Hurricane Harvey in Rockport, Texas. Our first priority is to insure that you and your family are okay and have somewhere safe to stay. A safe place may mean returning to your home after authorities have determined it is safe to return, or it may mean finding temporary housing. Housing may be a challenge, and both the Red Cross and FEMA are available for guidance on temporary shelter available in Rockport.
Next, our lawyers with Carabin & Shaw recommend retaining all receipts for expenses you incur related to the effects of the hurricane, including food, housing, and transportation. While all of these may or may not be covered by your policy, keeping receipts until a final determination and payout on your policy is received can only help; not keeping receipts could result in lost potential reimbursement.
Once you have returned to your property, if you are able, take photos of the damages before anything is moved or cleared. Ask family members if they have any pre-hurricane photos of your home and yard, as these can be useful as before and after images to support claims for loss and damages. Our attorneys would also recommend you don’t throw anything out until the adjuster has come by and reviewed damages.
When determining what to do after Hurricane Harvey in Rockport, consider these additional recommendations:
- File your initial claim as soon as possible to meet deadlines and beat your thousands of fellow claimants, and leave the claim open to add items that may not have been identified in the first evaluation of damages.
- Keep an itemized list of everything you believe may be reclaimed a result of Hurricane Harvey, whether damaged or lost, as well as expenditures. The list does not necessarily represent everything for which you will be reimbursed; rather, it allows you to accurately track and request that for which you will seek reimbursement.
- Don’t throw anything out until the adjuster has reviewed damages.
- Take photos of all damages to your belongings, as well as to your home, from floor to ceiling, and everything in-between. Get pre-hurricane photos from family and friends to help substantiate your claim.
- Auto damages, especially damages due to flooding, may be covered under both your auto and homeowners insurance policy.
- Keep every receipt for any repairs and necessary replacements to your property.
- Don’t sign contracts for repairs until you’ve received a satisfactory settlement offer or met with a Carabin & Shaw lawyer to review both the claim and the adjuster's offer.
If you have any worries about your hurricane insurance claim in Rockport, call our office at 361.7907788 or toll-free at 1.800.862.1260, and request to meet with a Carabin & Shaw attorney; your initial consultation is always free. By having one of expert natural disaster insurance claims attorneys review your policy and claim, you may gain peace of mind knowing exactly what to do after Hurricane Harvey in Rockport and having covered all your bases to obtain the best outcome for your situation. We are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, so call Carabin & Shaw today and put your mind at rest.