Commercial Vehicle Accident Statistics | Corpus Christi Trucking Injury Lawyers
In 2017, nearly 5,000 fatal crashes involved large trucks. Commercial vehicle accident statistics demonstrate common causes and effects of these types of accidents. Furthermore, these statistics provide insight into how you can practice safer driving habits. Corpus Christi drivers who have been harmed as a result of 18 Wheeler accidents can find help by talking with an experienced, qualified attorney from the office of Carabin Shaw.Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Facts
The Texas Department of Transportation has reported the following statistics from 2018:
- 1 reported crash occurred every 58 seconds.
- 1 person was killed every 2 hours and 25 minutes.
- 26% of fatal crashes involved where a driver was under the influence of alcohol.
- More than half (54%) of fatal crashes occurred in rural areas.
- Almost 15,000 people sustained a serious injury from an accident.
Corpus Christi trucking accident attorneys recommend practicing extra caution on rural roads and avoid riding with a drunk driver. Accidents can have detrimental and life-changing outcomes, and you may be entitled to financial compensation if you sustained a serious injury.National 18 Wheeler Accident Statistics
Commercial vehicle accident statistics from the U.S Department of Transportation show an increase in the amount of large bus and truck accidents from 2016-2017. These other statistics further demonstrate the need for safety and accountability amongst truck drivers and their companies:
- Approximately 450,000 large truck accidents were reported.
- Of these 450,000, 23% resulted in serious injury, and 1% (about 4,200) were fatal.
- 57% of crashes happened on rural roads.
- 27% occurred on interstate highways.
- The critical pre-crash event for 73% of fatal crashes was another vehicle, person, animal, or object encroaching into the truck’s lane.
- The most common driver-related factors in a crash were: speeding, driver inattention, and impairment (drug, alcohol, or fatigue).
Being involved in an accident is scary and can have devastating consequences. Consider speaking with a local Corpus Christi 18 wheeler accident attorney to gain insight on what type of settlement you may be able to receive.Practicing Safe Driving Techniques
Becoming familiar with accident statistics can help inform how you can be a safer driver. The most common driver-related factor is speeding, something which is avoidable. Avoid negligent driving behavior by practicing the following:
- Put your phone away when you’re driving
- Obey all traffic laws and posted signs
- Drive sober
Corpus Christi residents deserve to feel safe while on the road. Unfortunately, accidents can happen and are sometimes simply unavoidable. An experienced lawyer can provide legal support and help you with your legal claim.Should I Hire an Attorney?
You should hire an attorney if you think your accident was caused by truck driver negligence. If you’re unsure about hiring a trucking accident lawyer in Corpus Christi, you can call one of our attorneys for a free consultation. They’ll be able to offer advice and give a detailed outline on how a lawsuit may look. Sustaining life-altering injuries as the result of a negligent driver is grounds to sue, and you may be able to sue for the following damages:
- Medical costs
- Lost wages or benefits, including estimated future earning potential
- Loss of companionship
- Pain and suffering
Corpus Christi trucking accident attorneys understand how difficult this situation is. You need to reach out to a Corpus Christi 18 wheeler accident attorney as soon as you are able to, because Texas law requires that your lawsuit must be filed within two years from the date of the accident. Failure to comply with the statute of limitations may impede the possibility to sue. If you’re looking for a trucking accident lawyer in Corpus Christi, then give the office of Carabin Shaw a call. Our team has gathered over $500 million for our clients. See what we can do for you today. Call our office at (800) 862-1260 for a free consultation.
The Carabin Shaw Offices in Corpus Christi are located two blocks south of the Nueces County Courthouse in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Our Corpus Christi telephones are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 361.444.1111.