Corpus Christi Nursing Home Negligence
Some of us may have mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts or uncles in nursing homes. When they reach an age in which they can no longer easily take care themselves, we put our hope and trust into a nursing home to compassionately watch over them. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and nursing home negligence is more common than some may think.
It is not only important to know how to spot red flags indicating abuse in a nursing home, but it is also equally important to know what to do in the event that the abuse is, in fact, occurring. If you suspect your loved one has suffered from nursing home negligence, contact a Carabin Shaw Corpus Christi nursing home negligence attorney.10 Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
It is important to know what the signs of nursing home abuse are. We offer a simple list in order to prevent or stop you or your loved one from experiencing nursing home negligence.
- Hygiene: One of the first red flags is when your loved one has poor hygiene. If they are properly being taken care of, they will always be clean. If there is any indication of poor hygiene, communicate with the staff and bring it to their attention. If they are unhelpful, it may be a sign of a much larger issue.
- Hygiene, part 2: Hygiene extends to the conditions they live in, as well. If you find on your visits that they have a dirty room, bathroom, or shared living space, immediately address this issue with a staff member. These dirty conditions can lead to illnesses that can be easily prevented. If the issue continues, contact a nursing home negligence attorney in Corpus Christi for advice.
- Weight: Your loved one should have a very specific meal plan designed to give them the right amount of calories and nutrition. If you see that they are drastically losing weight, this may be a sign of neglect. This may also be a sign of improperly or aggressively administered medication.
- Medication: Some nursing homes can neglect their patients through overmedication, withholding medication, and giving the wrong medication. If you find that your loved one's behavior is chaotic or subdued, this may be a sign of improper medication. Contact a doctor to get a second opinion about the behavior and physical appearance you are observing.
- Dehydration: If your loved one is constantly complaining about headaches, has dry mouth, and is always thirsty, they may have dehydration. This is a sign of neglect because it is the staff members job to ensure that your loved one receives the appropriate amount of water and fluid intake for each day. If you recognize this kind of neglect, contact a nursing home negligence attorney serving Corpus Christi.
- Injuries: If you notice that your loved one has bruises and cuts, it is strongly advised that you find out where these injuries came from and document how frequently they happen. If these aren’t easily explained, then you may want to look deeper into what is going on. Also consider reports of your loved one falling too often. Staff members should be around 24/7 to help those who have difficulty walking on their own, so falling frequently is another possible sign that neglect is occurring.
- UTIs: Urinary tract infections are a sign of neglect due to its involvement with hygiene, diet, and hydration.
- Bed sores: Bed sores are not supposed to occur in a healthy nursing home. If your loved one has more than one bed sore, it is important to address the issue to the staff. If you find that the staff members are being unhelpful, contact a nursing home negligence attorney in Corpus Christi for help.
- Personality and Psychological issues: Your loved one can become less talkative or angry, lashing out at you when the underlying cause lies in the nursing environment. If you notice a change in your loved ones physical and mental behavior, this may be a sign of physical or emotional abuse.
- Listen: Your loved one may tell you exactly what's going on. Make sure you listen to their concerns and address their needs with compassion.
If you believe your loved one is a victim of nursing home negligence, contact an attorney today. Carabin Shaw will help you make a claim against the negligent party and guarantee that you receive the compensation you deserve. Your initial consultation is free, and we have bilingual representatives ready to serve you in English and Spanish. Call our offices in Corpus Christi at 361.444.1111 or toll-free at 1.800.682.1260.
The Carabin Shaw Offices in Corpus Christi are located two blocks south of the Nueces County Courthouse in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Our Corpus Christi telephones are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 361.444.1111.