Damages Available to Corpus Christi Swimming Pool Accident Victims
Have you or a loved one been injured in a swimming pool accident in Corpus Christi? You have probably considered legal action. However, if you have never pursued a personal injury claim before, the process may seem overwhelming.
Carabin Shaw is here to help. Our team of Corpus Christi swimming pool accident lawyers have extensive experience representing people in situations like yours. We offer free, no-obligation consultations by phone at 1-800-862-1260. Call today to see how we can work for you.Liability in a Corpus Christi Swimming Pool Accident
In order for your claim to be successful, you will have to be able to prove that your injury was the result of another party’s negligence, specifically the pool’s ownership. While some accidents and injuries are unfortunately unavoidable, there are several ways in which a pool’s ownership can act negligent and lead to such injuries. These include:
- Failure to properly mark deep and shallow ends
- Failure to provide a lifeguard if needed
- Failure to provide proper signage
- Failure to provide necessary emergency equipment
- Failure to ensure that lifeguards are properly certified
- Failure to keep a reasonably clean pool area
- Failure to properly secure pool to keep children out (as per the “attractive nuisance” doctrine)
If you believe that any of the above, or any other negligent act, may have been a factor in your case, look to a Corpus Christi injury lawyer to help you pursue a personal injury claim.What are the Damages Available to Corpus Christi Swimming Pool Accident Victims?
Two broad categories of damages are economic and noneconomic.
- Economic damages cover the financial cost of your injuries, including medical treatment and lost wages.
- Noneconomic damages allow your further reduced quality of life to be financially addressed. Some forms of noneconomic damages are pain and suffering, mental anguish, disfigurement, and loss of consortium. There are no caps on these forms of damages.
- A third form, punitive damages, which are meant as punishment for the negligent party, are capped at $750,000. Experienced Corpus Christi swimming pool accident lawyers will be able to help you determine how much you are entitled to receive in damages.
A personal injury claim is less formal than a lawsuit, and usually precedes one. A claim is not a formal legal action, but instead a complaint given directly to the negligent party, outlining the extent of their negligence and how much you believe you are owed in damages. This will open a period of negotiation between your attorney and the opposing party. Many personal injury claims are settled at this step, with the opposing party offering to pay an appropriate amount that is still less than what they might be made to pay in court.
However, if an agreement is not able to be reached, your lawyer may advise you to move forward with a lawsuit, which is a formal legal action that will see your case decided upon in court. Most personal injury lawsuits, however, are still settled outside of court before the appointed date. It is unlikely that your case will see the inside of a courtroom.What Can I Ask During a Free Consultation?
Free consultations with Corpus Christi injury attorneys are the best way to make an informed decision before hiring. In these meetings, you can ask a lawyer about their level of experience with swimming pool accident litigation, how often their cases are settled out of court, how they would approach your case and what outcome they expect. Only hire an attorney if you leave this meeting confident that they are experienced and have the knowledge about the damages available to Corpus Christi swimming pool accident victims necessary for a successful claim.
Carabin Shaw offers free consultations by phone at 361-444-1111. Call today to see if we would be right for you.
The Carabin Shaw Offices in Corpus Christi are located two blocks south of the Nueces County Courthouse in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Our Corpus Christi telephones are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 361.444.1111.