How Do I Prove Corpus Christi Medical Malpractice?
Most adults in the United States trust doctors unreservedly because they have detailed, specialized knowledge about our bodies that the majority of us do not have. However, doctors make mistakes, and many of these errors are both costly and common. If medical malpractice in Corpus Christi harmed you or a loved one, a licensed attorney is ready to help secure compensation on your behalf.What Is Medical Malpractice?
If you are thinking about hiring Corpus Christi medical malpractice lawyers, it is crucial that you understand what qualifies as malpractice. In its most basic form, medical malpractice occurs when a hospital, doctor, nurse, or other healthcare professional causes harm to a patient through a negligent act or omission.
Common types of medical malpractice are:
- Disregarding patient history
- Failure to diagnose
- Failure to recognize symptoms
- Improper medication or dosage
- Misreading laboratory results
- Ordering unnecessary surgery
- Poor follow up
- Premature discharge
If you suspect any of the above happened to you, call Corpus Christi hospital negligence lawyers today.How Common Is Medical Malpractice?
Malpractice is more common than most people realize. According to the Journal of American Medicine, researchers at Johns Hopkins Medicine found that, as of 2016, preventable medical mistakes are “the third leading cause of death in the United States” behind heart disease and cancer. In other cases, malpractice survivors have a diminished quality of life and massive debt as a result of medical mistakes and carelessness.
If you lost a close relative to malpractice or have a reduced quality of life because of medical negligence, a medical malpractice lawyer in Texas at Carabin Shaw can help resolve your case. While compensation alone cannot fix your emotional trauma, it can relieve some of the financial burdens you’ve taken on following medical negligence.What Do Medical Malpractice Settlements Look Like?
There is a strong precedent for payouts in malpractice claims. On the national level, insurance paid $3.9 billion to victims of medical malpractice in 2017 alone. According to the National Practitioner Data Bank, $100 million to $300 million of those successful claims were in Texas. The Corpus Christi medical malpractice lawyers of Carabin Shaw want you to count yourself part of the winning group, and we will do our part to ensure you receive the best compensation for your case.How Does a Malpractice Claim Work?
Now, you probably want to know, “How do I prove Corpus Christi medical malpractice?” There are four main criteria for winning a malpractice case. You and your lawyer will need to prove that:
- A doctor-patient relationship existed: Your medical records should easily establish the connection you have with your doctor. As your physician, the defendant had to follow “standard care,” or a treatment that any “reasonably prudent” health care worker under “like or similar circumstances” would find acceptable.
- Your physician violated the standard of care: If your clinician acted outside the standard of care, then they may be responsible for medical malpractice. Your medical malpractice attorney serving Corpus Christi might prove this by looking over your medical records and consulting with other doctors.
- Your physician’s negligence caused injury: Because many people who undergo medical treatment have a host of physical issues, it can occasionally be challenging to prove that negligence caused your specific injury, but do not worry. Corpus Christi hospital negligence lawyers can look at the facts and make this connection.
- Your injury led to specific damages: Lastly, your Corpus Christi medical malpractice lawyers must explain how your doctor’s negligence caused significant damage to you. Disability, loss of income, and costly past and future medical bills are some of the itemized losses you can claim in your lawsuit.
If you live in Corpus Christi and are searching “best medical negligence lawyers near me,” call Carabin Shaw today. To get in touch with our attorneys and schedule a free consultation, dial 361-444-1111, or reach us toll-free at 800-862-1260.
The Carabin Shaw Offices in Corpus Christi are located two blocks south of the Nueces County Courthouse in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Our Corpus Christi telephones are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 361.444.1111.