Next Steps For Medical Malpractice Victims In Corpus Christi
While the circumstances surrounding medical malpractice claims often vary from case to case, it is important to understand that there is help out there for victims of medical mistreatment. Residents of the state of Texas are no exception to this notion. In fact, Texas holds fourth place on the list of largest yearly medical malpractice payouts per state, over $100 million each year. While this number is indeed encouraging for patients in Corpus Christi who have suffered through a malpractice mishap, what is perhaps most striking here is the sheer prevalence of malpractice that this statistic supports.
Patients place their utmost trust in the doctors and medical staff who tend to their needs when health issues arise. It is easy to expect the doctor to make correct judgment calls and always hold the patients’ well-being as their number one priority. Unfortunately, medical malpractice is a shockingly prevalent issue in the United States: in fact, medical malpractice is the third leading cause of death in this country according to researchers at John Hopkins.
In 2014, insurance companies paid over $3 billion to patients injured in instances of medical malpractice. Approximately 33% of these malpractice payouts involve patients who were either diagnosed too late, or misdiagnosed altogether. Additionally, 30% of these malpractice claims which resulted in compensatory action involved a situation where the patient died, and almost 40% of cases included patients who sustained serious and life-altering injuries.
If you or someone you love has suffered due to a medical professional’s oversight, incompetence, inattentiveness, or misdiagnosis, it is important to understand the next steps for medical malpractice victims in Corpus Christi. At Carabin & Shaw, there is a Corpus Christi medical malpractice attorney ready and willing to take on your case and help you move forward after the incident. Our lawyers will guide you effectively through the claims process as you obtain maximum compensation for your loss.
Some examples of medical malpractice in Corpus Christi include:
- A doctor’s inability to administer proper medication to a patient at the risk of harm
- Late diagnosis
- ‘Tunnel vision’, or a doctor’s inability to see the big picture regarding a patient’s wellbeing
This is not to say that the presence of intent signifies ill intentions; presence of intent on behalf of the doctor more often indicates an unstable mental state on behalf of the doctor, or a simple inability to make proper judgment calls.
In such cases of medical malpractice in Corpus Christi, there are a few things you can do to improve the strength of your case and mitigate accrued damages. Generally, the next steps for medical malpractice victims in Corpus Christi include:
- Identify the problem: As soon as you suspect malpractice, you must first determine the source of the problem and whether or not the medical staff did indeed pursue some preventable and debilitating course of action related to your medical condition. Once the problem has been identified, the effort to prove it and hold those responsible accountable for their actions begins.
- Document evidence: If you have a worsening condition or infected injury brought about by a doctor’s mishandling of your particular situation, one way to reinforce your case and improve the chances of filing a successful malpractice suit is through fervent documentation and accumulation of evidence. Take pictures. Save receipts. Note dates and times. You never know what seemingly superfluous detail may help an insurance company trace a malpractice suit back to the source.
- Educate yourself: Perhaps most importantly, victims should educate themselves on the difference between medical malpractice and negligence. The difference between ‘malpractice’ and ‘negligence’ relates to the intent on the part of the attending medical professional. If it is simply unintentional negligence, your case may not warrant a malpractice suit. That is why expediting the process of retaining a proper Corpus Christi medical malpractice lawyer may prove to be your most important asset in your quest for compensation.
- Contact an attorney: Professional legal guidance will often be the difference between a successful malpractice suit and unsettled mistreatment by doctors and nurses. The quicker you retain a lawyer, the higher your chances are for maximum compensation.
If you or someone you care about has fallen victim to medical malpractice in South Texas, chances are that you have further questions regarding the next steps for medical malpractice victims in Corpus Christi and the surrounding region. For these and all other concerns, look no further than the experienced lawyers at Carabin & Shaw. When you contact one of our Corpus Christi lawyers, you will be placing your case in the hands of seasoned professionals.
Our attorneys have over 20 years of experience in all types of personal injury cases. We will even provide you with a complimentary initial consultation, free of charge, to answer all your questions regarding the necessary next steps for medical malpractice victims in Corpus Christi. Contact us day or night at 361.444.1111 or toll-free at 1.800.682.1260, and we will do everything in our power to help you secure compensation and loss recovery for you and your loved ones.
The Carabin Shaw Offices in Corpus Christi are located two blocks south of the Nueces County Courthouse in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Our Corpus Christi telephones are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 361.444.1111.