Next Steps For Medical Malpractice Victims In Kenedy
Medical malpractice is now the third leading cause of death in the United States; in fact, medical oversight results in over 200,000 yearly fatalities in the United States, with only cancer and heart disease claiming more American lives. Victims in malpractice lawsuits reclaim more than $3 billion in settlements annually, amounting to a medical malpractice payout every 40 seconds on average. Despite these overwhelming medical malpractice statistics, an inordinate amount of malpractice suits in Kenedy end in an out-of-court settlement devoid of any real compensation.
The Kenedy medical malpractice attorneys at the law firm of Carabin & Shaw want to help you move forward with the appropriate steps on your way to forming a successful malpractice claim. We will stop at nothing to hold all culpable parties accountable for their mismanagement of patients’ health in Kenedy and everywhere else in Texas.Next Steps for Medical Malpractice Victims in Kenedy
Cases of medical malpractice are impossible to plan for, and they can happen to anyone. If it does happen to you, there are a few steps you can take to improve your chances for compensation. Generally, the next steps for medical malpractice victims in Kenedy include the following:
- Identify the problem: Cases of medical malpractice most often go initially undetected. In some cases, nurses or doctors will contact patients days, weeks, or months afterward and retroactively admit the negligence has occurred. Unfortunately, these cases are rare; more commonly, the victim and their family – or those that survive them – must actively pursue those responsible to obtain closure and compensation. Friends and loved ones should remain observant and perceptive of the victim’s condition so that the issue can be identified and proper legal action taken as soon as possible. This includes education and awareness of signs and symptoms of malpractice.
- Consult with the victim: Especially in cases of medical misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis, the victim may not even be aware that malpractice has occurred; even so, theirs is an indispensable vantage point of their own predicament. If they suspect malpractice, any details or specific abnormalities they can recall from their treatment can potentially be used to bolster their claim. If possible, always consult with the victim in the early stages of formulating a malpractice case.
- Record evidence: If the patient has a condition or physical injuries which have worsened due to a physician or nurse’s failure to handle their medical needs appropriately, gathering evidence from communications with staff and taking pictures of the injuries can help strengthen your lawsuit. The more evidence you can assemble, the more likely an attorney will be able to justify your case in court secure restitution for your losses.
- Request a copy of relevant medical records: As stated above, the more actively you obtain records and documentation from the hospital or doctor’s office, the better chance you have of solidifying your case in court and obtaining full reparation. If your case involves surgical malpractice, collect anesthesiology reports, and other relevant paperwork associated with the surgery and all related supplemental medical treatment. If you have any problems at all doing this, an attorney has the tools available to get the job done.
- Contact an attorney: Once you have established the existence of malpractice and recorded any available evidence, it is vital that you build a successful claim with a legal representative as soon as possible once you realize what has taken place. In these cases, obtaining the counsel of a lawyer may be your best chance to later obtain maximum compensation.
Carabin & Shaw attorneys serving Kenedy will work tirelessly to see you fully compensated for all losses and damages accrued due to involvement in a Kenedy medical malpractice [hyperlink] case. Contact our experienced lawyers today for a free consultation to help make you aware of the necessary next steps for medical malpractice victims in Kenedy toward maximum compensation for you and your family.
Call Carabin & Shaw’s offices in Kenedy today for a free consultation at 830.583.2828, or toll-free, any time of the day or night, at 1.800.862.1260.