Rockport Types of Elder Abuse and Negligence
Elder abuse is something we hope will never happen to one of our loved ones. Sadly, it does, both in Rockport, Texas, and throughout the United States. Abuse of the elderly can happen anywhere, and it can happen to the elderly in private caregivers’ homes and to nursing home residents. Where the abuse occurs doesn’t change the issue, but it can happen under a many different sets of circumstances that must be considered.
When one individual is vulnerable and dependent on the care of another, there is always the potential to suffer abuse. Sadly, there are many horror stories of families who have loved ones who have suffered abuse or neglect at the hands of a trusted caregiver. If you suspect any of the types of abuses listed below, Carabin Shaw recommends you seek the counsel of a Rockport nursing home negligence lawyer.Rockport Types of Elder Abuse and Negligence
Elder abuse is commonly present in the forms of direct abuse and neglect. Direct abuse involves inflicting pain willfully, or willfully holding back care that is necessary to another’s well-being. Neglect is an indirect form of abuse that addresses failure of a caregiver to meet the physical, emotional needs of someone under their care. If you have observed any of the following, it may indicate you should be concerned about your loved ones’ safety and should consult with a Carabin Shaw lawyer to discuss Rockport types of elder abuse and negligence.
- Physical abuse: Examples include slapping, hitting, pinching, tripping, biting or shoving.
- Verbal abuse: Humiliating the elder through words, actions, blaming. Verbal abuse is the same as emotional abuse, and may cause your loved one’s condition to deteriorate faster.
- Psychological abuse: Causing an elder to feel unsafe, leaving them unattended for hours or keeping them from interacting with others and making them feel forgotten.
- Fraud abuse: Stealing money or coercing valuables from an elder, or misappropriating their funds for personal gain.
- Neglect: Inadequate supervision, malnutrition and dehydration, leaving a resident in soiled clothing, as well as failure to care for their position when bed or wheelchair-bound, resulting in bedsores.
In Rockport, types of elder abuse and negligence are as varied as the vulnerable elderly themselves. If you’re unsure whether your loved one has been a victim of abuse or neglect, please contact a Carabin Shaw Rockport nursing home negligence lawyer; our attorneys are available twenty-four-seven to discuss your concerns and help determine if your loved one needs protection according to the law.
In addition to intentional abuse and neglect, you may also have concerns about unhealthy living environments for elderly residents due to understaffed nursing homes in Rockport, or abuses resulting from a lack of oversight and poor training of staff members. Take a moment now to talk with a Carabin Shaw attorney to discuss these concerns about your loved ones. Our attorneys provide a free initial consultation, and they will gladly meet with you in-person wherever it is most convenient.
If you suspect your loved one has been a victim of elder abuse, call Carabin Shaw today. Don’t take the risk of second-guessing the situation; there are questions to be asked that our expert team of attorneys know to answer. Keeping your loved ones safe becomes a team effort when you hire a Carabin Shaw lawyer in Rockport, Texas, to fight for you.
Call us today and protect your loved ones from further harm. Our local offices can be reached at 361.790.7788 or toll-free at 800-862-1260.