Truck Accident Liability | Corpus Christi Injury Attorneys
Corpus Christi and the surrounding area is home to many industries requiring countless trucks to deliver cargo loads in and out of the area. But what is good for the local economy isn’t always good for the safety of the residents and workers. The extra truck traffic means more dangerous accidents.
The cause of a truck accident isn’t always easy to determine, but it is important to identify who is financially responsible. If you or a loved one have been involved in a trucking accident you may be eligible for financial compensation. You need a Corpus Christi injury attorney to determine truck accident liability. The experienced attorneys at Carabin Shaw will fight for you.What to Do After a Trucking Accident
Recovering from an accident with an 18 wheeler can be a long, difficult process. Read more about Corpus Christi 18 wheeler accidents to help you feel less overwhelmed. If you are physically able, you need to do the following immediately following your accident:
- Call your local police: This is not a situation where you can exchange information with the truck driver and contact your auto insurer at a later time. This type of accident is complicated and the information the police gathers will help your attorney if you file a lawsuit later.
- Document the scene: Take photos, gather names and license plate numbers of the other parties involved. This information will help your lawyer determine liability.
- Seek medical attention: If you are injured, you know to see a doctor immediately. However, even if you are feeling fine, you may have suffered injuries that will show up later. You need a medical examination to determine if any long-term injuries were caused by the accident. Your lawyer can help you receive compensation for medical bills and loss of wages during your recovery.
- Call Carabin Shaw: Our Corpus Christi truck accident lawyers will investigate your case, determine who is liable, speak on your behalf, and fight for you to receive the compensation you deserve.
Do not feel pressure to determine the cause of the accident or who is liable by yourself. A truck accident is complicated and often involves many parties. There are many factors at play. Only someone experienced in truck accidents can accurately do this. Your attorney will investigate the following parties when working on your case:
- Truck driver: The driver may be at fault if they were driving while under the influence, distracted, fatigued, or just generally reckless.
- Trucking company: The company is responsible for driver training and truck maintenance. Also, many companies require drivers to deliver in a short time, requiring the driver to speed or skip important and necessary rest periods. Any negligence on any of these could result in a severe accident.
- Owner of the truck: Some drivers own their truck but others are owned by a company or a private party. The same rules apply here as above. If the owner is negligent in truck maintenance, they are at fault.
- Truck manufacturer: Outside of regular maintenance, there are a number of defects that can cause a truck to malfunction. This isn’t necessarily the fault of the owner. The manufacturer is responsible for informing owners of recalls and improvements.
- Cargo loader: A fully loaded 18 wheeler is a massive amount of weight. If it is not properly distributed, the truck can be difficult or impossible to handle and braking could lead to jackknifing. An improperly trained cargo loader may not know how to pack the trailer safely.
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident in Corpus Christi you will need help determining truck accident liability. The experienced Corpus Christi injury attorneys at Carabin Shaw want to help you recover emotionally and financially. Call us locally at 361-444-1111 for a free, no obligation consultation.
The Carabin Shaw Offices in Corpus Christi are located two blocks south of the Nueces County Courthouse in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Our Corpus Christi telephones are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 361.444.1111.