Dehydration / Malnutrition
Nursing home injuries or death can often trace back to a numerous list of failures of the nursing home facility. One issue that is often overlooked is the failure of the facility to properly feed, monitor the diet and ensure proper hydration of their residents.
Dehydration occurs when a person is deprived of necessary fluids, such as water. Malnutrition occurs when the human body doesn’t get enough to eat. If that happens, the body is deprived of needed minerals, vitamins, protein and other nutrition.
Dehydration and malnutrition injuries suffered as a result of nursing home neglect can cause death or other serious medical complications.
Unfortunately, the elderly frequently fail to self-monitor their intake of water and food. This puts then at an increased risk of malnutrition and/or dehydration.
Nursing homes are entrusted with resident care. It is the obligation of the nursing home to make sure that your loved ones are receiving proper hydration and nutrition to keep them healthy.
If your loved one suffered a serious physical injury as a result of the nursing home’s failure to make sure that they were receiving enough fluids and food, call Carabin Shaw, we will fight for your rights. Call 800-862-1260.Duties and Common Failures of Nursing Homes:
- Failure to maintain sufficient intake of fluids and food;
- The nursing home supervisors failing to educate staff about the nutritional needs of residents;
- Failing to assess the residents dietary needs as part an accurate and appropriate plan of care, and/or failing to follow an established plan of care;
- Failing to make accurate notations in resident’s records by the nursing home staff regarding what they drink and eat;
- Failure to maintain sufficient nursing home staffing levels to feed residents and monitor the food and fluid they consume.
If a friend or loved one has suffered an injury as a result of nursing home dehydration or malnutrition or other injury, request a free consultation and legal claim evaluation to determine if a case can be filed. Call Carabin Shaw, we will fight for what you are entitled to and deserve. Call 800-862-1260.