After an Auto Accident
Many people think that common sense dictates what is to be done after an auto accident. Maybe so, but our common sense can desert us under stress. It is a good idea to keep this simple checklist in your car with your other important documents (registration, etc.).
- Get help for anyone injured.
- Always call the police. Your uninsured motorist coverage pays for a hit-and-run accident only if you report the accident to the police.
- Move your car, if possible, to avoid blocking traffic and to protect it from further loss or damage. Be careful and alert – many people are injured at accident scenes each year by other drivers who are not paying attention.
- Get the other driver’s name, address, telephone number, license number, and insurance information.
- Record the insurance company name and the policy number exactly as they appear on the other driver’s proof-of-insurance card.
- Don’t sign anything except a ticket, citation, or report issued by the police officer.
- Notify your insurance company upon returning home. They will want the names and addresses of witnesses and injured persons. Do not sign any document that releases a legal right.
- Contact us to find out about your right to recover for your injuries and expenses. Remember, insurance companies are not in the business of paying claims, no matter what their advertisements state. They are in the business of collecting premiums. Insurance adjusters do not have your best interests in mind. Be careful. And remember Texas law gives you only two years to settle or file suit on an accident claim from the date of accident. Call us to learn all of your legal rights.
IF YOU OR A FAMILY MEMBER ARE EVER INJURED IN AN AUTO ACCIDENT CALL OUR LAW FIRM DAY OR NIGHT AT 1.800.862.1260.