10 Best Attorney Client Satisfaction
Google verifed reviews
BBB - Acredited Business A+
Texas Trial Lawyers Association
AVVO Rating - James Michael Shaw 10.0

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I Need to Notify my Insurance Company About the Accident?

Notify your insurance agent as soon as possible. They may need to process a portion of or all of your claim. However do not give any type of recorded statement to your agent or carrier without our firm being present.

Should I Speak With the Other Person's Insurance Company if They Contact me?

Do NOT discuss your case with anyone until you have met with a representative of Carabin Shaw, Injury Lawyers. Be careful the defendant's insurance company may try to blame the accident on you.

What are Some Things I Should not do?

You should NEVER admit fault for the accident to anyone, including the other driver, passengers, relatives, and/or police officers. You may have signed a citation from the investigating officer. This action was not, however, an admission of guilt.

Who is Responsible for my Medical Treatment and Expenses?

The at-fault party of the accident and/or their insurance company is ultimately responsible. In the event the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured, your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage may help in paying expenses and other damages if you purchased this coverage. Expenses may also be paid from PIP (Personal Injury Protection) coverage if you have paid for this coverage or if the driver in the auto in which you were a passenger had this coverage.

What Happens if the Other Party is not Insured?

Check your own coverage, you may have purchased uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

What do I do if I am Unable to Work due to the Accident?

You may be entitled to submit a claim for lost wages from injury due to your accident. If you receive a "unable to work" order from your Doctor you may, according to the facts in the case, be entitled to recoup lost wages. Do NOT take time off from work without a written order from your doctor. You may hurt your case. Use the lost earnings worksheet to help you identify your lost wages. It is important to keep track of your lost wages, since your employer will probably not do this for you.

Do I Really Need a Lawyer?

In accord with the law, you have the right to legal counsel to protect your rights when someone’s negligence has caused damage to you and/or your property. Hiring an injury lawyer sends the insurance company the message that you are serious about your claim. You will also have the security of having your personal rights protected. The at-fault insurance company may try to tell you that you do not need a lawyer. The person giving you that advice is probably not a lawyer and may even be breaking the law by attempting to practice law without a license. We have seen many instances where an adjuster for the at-fault insurance company convinces a claimant that they do not need a lawyer, only to be stuck much later, with an unresolved claim. In some cases it is then too late for us to help that claimant. We can be of the most help when you come to see us immediately after the accident.

Will I Need You to File a Lawsuit?

The majority of cases settle before there is a need for a lawsuit. In certain circumstances, a lawsuit becomes necessary like when the at-fault insurance company refuses to negotiate in good faith. If we can not settle your case satisfactorily we will advise you on taking your case to Court.

How Much Money Can I Expect for the Property Damage to my Car?

You should be offered either the amount that it will take to restore your car to its condition prior to the accident, or the fair market value of your car if the car is considered totaled. There are different methods used by insurance companies to determine these values. Carabin Shaw, Injury Lawyers are prepared to assist you in making sure these values fall within the scope of fairness provided by the law. We assist our clients on their property damage claims for free, always have, always will.

How Long Will it Take to Settle my Case?

All claims are handled individually and on a case-by-case basis. No two cases are exactly alike. In general, the finalization of your claim is determined by your length of treatment and time of rehabilitation. We will proceed promptly with your claim as soon as your doctor(s) have released you from treatment. Once you are released by your doctor, usually your case can be resolved in 60 to 90 days if litigation is not necessary or required.

How Much Money Can I Expect to Receive From my Case?

No lawyer can accurately estimate the value of your case until all facts have been discovered and reviewed. Unknown factors can sometimes come up or problems arise that may change the financial value of your case. No matter what the circumstances may be, Carabin Shaw, Injury Lawyers will consult with your treating doctors and other pertinent experts to give you an estimate that we feel is legally fair and reasonable. We will then work hard to get you what we feel is fair and reasonable in the quickest way possible. If you would like to sit down with us we will be able to give you a range value on your case.

Client Reviews
We are very glad we called Carabin Shaw after our accident. We now recommend them to everyone. - Griselda S.
You want Carabin Shaw on your side after an accident. They were excellent. - Valerie S.
In our opinion, no one is better, Carabin Shaw is the Law Firm you want on your side after an accident. - Amanda G.
The attorneys and staff went out of their way to help us after our accident. Thank you Carabin Shaw. - Melinda F.
We did our research after our accident and chose Carabin Shaw. They were great. Highly recommend. Joel Y.