NHTSA Data 2005
- One out of eight traffic fatalities in 2005 resulted from a collision involving a large truck.
- Over 442,000 large trucks (gross vehicle weight rating greater than 10,000 pounds) were involved in traffic crashes in the United States; 4,932 were involved in fatal crashes. A total of 5,212 people died (12 percent of all the traffic fatalities reported in 2005) and an additional 114,000 were injured in those crashes.
- Large trucks accounted for 3 percent of all registered vehicles and 8 percent of total vehicle miles traveled (2005 registered vehicle and vehicle miles traveled data not available). In 2005, large trucks accounted for 8 percent of all vehicles involved in fatal crashes and 4 percent of all vehicles involved in injury and property-damage-only crashes.
- In 50% of the two-vehicle fatal crashes involving a large truck and another type of vehicle, both vehicles were proceeding straight at the time of the crash. In 10 percent of the crashes, the other vehicle was turning. In 8 percent, either the truck or the other vehicle was negotiating a curve. In 7 percent, either the truck or the other vehicle was stopped or parked in a traffic lane (5% and 2%, respectively).
- Most of the fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred in rural areas (61%), during the daytime (67%), and on weekdays (81%). During the week, 74 percent of the crashes occurred during the daytime (6 a.m. to 5:59 p.m.). On weekends, 60 percent occurred at night (6 p.m. to 5:59 a.m.).
- Of the fatalities that resulted from crashes involving large trucks, 76 percent were occupants of another vehicle.
- If the injuries that resulted from crashes involving large trucks, 74 percent were occupants of another vehicle.
We are very glad we called Carabin Shaw after our accident. We now recommend them to everyone. Griselda S.
You want Carabin Shaw on your side after an accident. They were excellent. Valerie S.
In our opinion, no one is better, Carabin Shaw is the Law Firm you want on your side after an accident. Amanda G.
The attorneys and staff went out of their way to help us after our accident. Thank you Carabin Shaw. Melinda F.
We did our research after our accident and chose Carabin Shaw. They were great. Highly recommend. Joel Y.