After an 18 Wheeler Underride Accident | Illinois Injury Attorney
18 wheelers are one of the most dangerous vehicles drivers can encounter on the road in Illinois. Even though truck accidents are less common than car accidents, truck accidents are far more dangerous for passenger vehicles on the road.
If you or a loved one was involved in an 18 wheeler accident, you should talk to an 18 wheeler accident lawyer in Illinois. Working with a lawyer can improve your chances of getting the compensation you deserve. Illinois attorney Jesse Guerra has years of experience helping victims like yourself get justice after being involved in an 18 wheeler accident. You can learn more about Jesse Guerra’s expertise here.Defining an Underride Accident
One of the most dangerous types of accidents with an 18 wheeler is an underride. An underride happens when a passenger vehicle slides under the side or rear of an 18 wheeler, which is made possible by the fact that many passenger vehicles can fight under the height of an 18 wheeler’s truck bed.Causes of an 18 Wheeler Underride
There are a number of circumstances that can lead to an 18 wheeler underride, but the most common factor that leads to these kinds of wrecks is truck driver negligence. Below are ways that truck driver negligence can lead to an underride accident:
- Sudden braking - 18 wheelers can weigh up to 80,000 lbs, so they need much more time to come to a complete stop than a regular passenger vehicle. When inexperienced truckers try to abruptly brake, an 18 wheeler’s wheels can lock up, which can put drivers behind them at risk of a rear-end and underride. If sudden braking caused your underride accident, talk to an Illinois injury attorney.
- Improper maintenance - 18 wheelers need to undergo regular maintenance to ensure the safety of everyone on the road. When their reflective tape is missing or a taillight is out, it can make it difficult for other drivers to see 18 wheelers at night, which can cause a serious accident.
- Incorrect turns - If a truck driver doesn’t make a turn properly, it can have dire consequences. Not yielding to oncoming traffic, cutting corners, and failure to use a turn signal are just a few examples of incorrect turns that could lead to catastrophe. To learn more, talk to an attorney.
- Driving recklessly - When truckers drive recklessly, they put everyone around them on the road at risk. If a truck driver is speeding, driving distracted, driving under the influence, or driving fatigued, they can cause a serious accident to occur.
After an 18 wheeler underride accident, there are a number of steps you should take to have the best odds at winning your case:
- Contact the police - Contacting the police is always the first step after an 18 wheeler accident. They will file an accident report, which will be an important piece of evidence for your 18 wheeler accident lawyer in Illinois.
- Seek medical attention - You should always visit a doctor or hospital as soon as you can after a car wreck. The closer your medical visit is to the date of the accident, the easier it will be for your Illinois injury attorney to prove that your injuries were caused by the accident.
- Collect evidence - To win your case, you’ll need all the evidence you can get. If you’re able after the accident, be sure to take photos of the accident scene as well as your vehicle and any injuries you’ve sustained. Talk to witnesses and get their contact information. Lastly, write down your own account of what happened in the accident.
- Talk to a well-established law firm - If you want to win your case, the most important step is to get someone with legal experience on your side. Illinois attorney Jesse Guerra knows how to hold trucking companies accountable and get you the compensation you deserve. Call 1-800-555-0101 for a free, no-obligation consultation today.