What You Need to Know About 18 Wheeler Accidents in Illinois
If you have been injured in an 18 wheeler accident in Illinois, you have probably considered legal action. You could be facing down a mountain of unforeseen medical bills and vehicle repair costs, and you may be temporarily unable to work and make up those expenses. However, the legal process can seem intimidating, and you may not know where to begin when looking for an 18 wheeler accident attorney in Illinois. Read on for some basic information regarding what you need to know about 18 wheeler accidents in Illinois.18 Wheeler Accidents in Illinois: The Basics
Illinois sees a median amount of fatal accidents involving large trucks per capita, at.9 per 100,000 population. However, at 115 annually, it is in the top 10 states for fatal truck accidents in terms of sheer magnitude. This discrepancy can be attributed to large population centers like Chicago in the otherwise largely rural state.
Sparsely-populated areas are typically more prone to fatal accidents involving large trucks. When driving on rural highways, always be aware of your surroundings and give large trucks a wide berth. If you find yourself involved in an accident, look for an Illinois truck collision lawyer to help you pursue a personal injury claim.Causes of 18 Wheeler Accidents
Truck accidents can result from any number of causes, many of which constitute negligence on the part of the driver.
Some negligent acts that can result in a truck accident include:
- Driving while under the influence
- Incorrectly-secured cargo
- Speeding, failing to signal lane changes, and other moving violations
- Failure to correctly judge overhead clearance
- Falling asleep at the wheel
- Failure to sufficiently inspect and maintain the vehicle
- Intentionally under-reporting hours driven
- Driving without headlights
- Driving while distracted
If you believe that any of the above, or any other negligent act, played a part in your accident, look for an experienced 18 wheeler accident attorney in Illinois to help you with a personal injury claim.Injuries Resulting From 18 Wheeler Accidents
A vehicular accident can result in many potentially debilitating injuries that can present lasting health and quality of life issues. These include:
- Loss of eyesight
- Disfiguring burns
In addition to seeing your medical costs covered for the above, you are also entitled to compensation for the ways in which they affect your quality of life. An Illinois truck collision lawyer can help ensure that you receive these noneconomic damages.Damages Available After an Illinois Truck Accident
There are three types of damages available to victims of truck accidents: economic, noneconomic, and punitive. Illinois does not place caps on any of these damages in the case of a vehicle accident.
- Economic damages are meant to compensate you for your financial losses. Your attorney will assist you in estimating how much money you lost and are likely to lose in the future as a result of your injuries, including the costs of medical treatment, vehicle maintenance, and lost wages and fight for adequate compensation.
- Noneconomic damages account for the ways that your injuries have affected your life non-monetarily, including pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment, and other more intangible costs.
- Punitive damages are meant to punish an offender who was particularly malicious or flagrant in their conduct resulting in injury. These are the least common type of damages to see awarded, and your lawyer may not advise you to pursue them.
With decades of experience helping clients like you pursue the compensation they deserve, Illinois attorney Jesse Guerra can help. For a free consultation by phone, call 1-800-555-0101 today to see how he can help you with your claim.