Drunk Driving & Innocent Bystanders
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, around 5,376 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes in the United States. Almost half of the crashes resulting in pedestrian deaths involved alcohol. The combination of drunk driving and innocent bystanders in San Antonio can cause serious injury and often major fatalities. It is 1.5 times more likely for a pedestrian to be killed in a car crash on each trip than a vehicle passenger, and the total cost of alcohol related crashes is estimated to total 44 billion dollars a year. Drinking and driving is no joke– if you or a loved one falls victim a drunk driver, the San Antonio team of lawyers and attorneys at Carabin & Shaw will give you a free consultation and assist you in handling your claim.
Having a San Antonio drunk driving accident lawyer can prove beneficial when it comes time to recovering damages for any injuries suffered. If the injured person is able to prove negligence, their chance of recovering their damages is much greater. The San Antonio lawyers at Carabin & Shaw can walk you through a step-by-step process on how to handle your claim.Causes of Pedestrian Related Accidents
Drunk driving and innocent bystander accidents happen in San Antonio more often than you may think. Some of the instances that often cause these accidents include but are not limited to:
- Ignoring walk signals at intersections
- Running across a street in front of vehicles
- Failing to use crosswalks correctly
People involved in drunk drivers and innocent bystanders accidents should not count on the driver’s insurance to compensate for their injuries. Injured bystanders should be entitled to compensation for a variety of damages, including but not limited to:
- Permanent injury and/or disability
- Property damage and loss
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering caused by the injury
- Emotional distress from the injury
If you or a loved one is hit by a driver who is under the influence, it’s imperative to take the correct steps in order to proceed with your claim. Filing a personal injury lawsuit is often tedious but necessary in pedestrian and drunk driving related accidents. Since driving drunk is considered an act of negligence, being able to prove that the driver was intoxicated is a key component in building your case. Another obstacle involves insurance, since it is common for drunk drivers to not carry insurance policies. This limits you in reaping the compensation you deserve. Taking the correct course of action with your attorney immediately after your accident could greatly improve your chance at filing a personal injury lawsuit that works in your favor.Immediately after Your Accident:
- Get medical help: Making sure your medical injuries are attended to is of utmost importance. Even though some injuries may look unnoticeable, there is still potential to be severe damage. Make sure you call 911 or seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Call the police: Be sure to give the most truthful statements as possible when the police arrive at the scene.
- Gather witnesses and information: Accidents are often traumatic, and the smallest details are easily forgotten. If witnesses were around at the time of your accident, collect information from them regarding the sequence of events that happened around your accident.
- Call an attorney with Carabin & Shaw: Our team of professional lawyers and personal injury attorneys can help make this process easier for you. Having a personal injury attorney can help you combat insurance schemes and guide you in the right direction of getting your life back on track.
Carabin & Shaw boasts an experienced team of lawyers and attorneys specializing in personal injury law. For a free consultation regarding your claim and to be put in the best hands for your case, contact Carabin & Shaw in San Antonio at 210.222.2288 or toll-free at 1.800.862.1260.