Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Being injured in a car accident can be a devastating experience. Not just physically, but emotionally and financially as well.
If the accident was the result of another person’s negligence then you have certain legal rights are in place to make sure you are compensated fairly for all damages suffered. You must follow the laws of the State in order to prevail. Some of the Laws of Texas are somewhat expected and others more abstract. Choosing an attorney with extensive knowledge of Texas Laws will be of great benefit. Such laws and best practices include, filing all paperwork timely, following the statute of limitations, keeping accurate records of the accident and keeping detailed reports of expenses and other damages resulting from the accident. In some cases, you’ll need to file a lawsuit.
Hiring an attorney might seem like an exhausting or expensive step, but it is not. Our Law Firm will explain everything to you for free, without obligation and if we take on the case, we are only paid if and when you receive compensation on the case.
The following portion of this article details several reasons electing to hire a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after being injured in a car accident is crucial to protecting your rights and getting what you deserve.
- There is a time limit to file a claims and lawsuits. In almost every state the statute of limitations for filing an accident claim is within 1 or 2 years of the accident. In Texas the Statute of Limitations for a Personal Injury Accident is 2 years. It is important to note that there are exceptions to this rule that can shorten limitations or extend limitations, depending on certain factors, call us day or night for more information and explanation. Failing to file in that time means giving up your right to sue at all for this injury. For this reason alone, it is important to consult an attorney right away after you are injured in an accident.
- Your State has certain rules that must be complied with in order to sue. In Texas, you must place certain defendants or certain responsible parties on notice of the accident occurring within only a couple of months. Hiring a lawyer with a license to practice in your state means they are knowledgeable in all areas pertaining to personal injury lawsuits. They are up to date on the latest statutes and requirements to file a lawsuit and work to ensure your case is in compliance of such rules. Oversight of these rules can lead to you getting less than you expected, and sometimes nothing at all.
- You may not know all of the damages that can be reimbursed and be able to document the damages and in some cases have an expert explain the extent of the damages. By law, there are a multitude of possible damages beyond just medical expenses. An Experienced Personal Injury Attorney knows how to quantify Pain and Suffering and Emotional Distress. Our team knows how to forecast or evaluate future medical damages and expenses. And in many cases, lost wages or loss of income as a result of an accident can be recovered. Sometimes, even family members can recover for the loss of your companionship if you have been immobilized. You should hire an attorney to maximize your reimbursement.
- The insurance company may want to settle quickly, but at what cost? It is very important to make sure you know the full extent of your damages before you make any agreement with an insurance company. Sure, they want to make sure they reimburse you for your legitimate claims but they will often rush to a settlement without giving you the chance to total up all damages and expenses incurred. They have a bottom line and want to keep their costs as low as possible. Get a full medical exam and speak with an attorney before signing anything from an insurance company to be sure that you get the reimbursement you are entitled.
- An Experienced Personal Injury Attorney understands the different settlement options. Most personal injury cases settle outside the courtroom. This means that the defendant, or the defendant’s insurance company will make an offer they think you will take up front rather than going through the time and trouble to battle over every item in court. An attorney can help you decide if a settlement is fair or whether such an offer will cover all of your expenses before you agree to it. Any settlement offer you accept ends the process and removes the possibility of recovering further damages that resulted from the accident, thus making a well informed decision is critical.
- Proving liability can be more difficult than it seems. Even when you have witnesses who can say who was at fault and even if the police report backs you up, the insurance company may still fight you on the claim. It is important to have an experienced attorney on your side, to explain liability issues, venue issues, damages issues or to cite previous cases and provide references to other sources that can help prove, in court or out of court, your case. Our attorneys can help explain in detail the breach of care or breach of a duty of care by the responsible party and how that lead to your injuries. This can mean a large difference in damages and is yet another reason to hire an experienced personal injury attorney. It is also important for you to understand that there are detailed and complex set of rules that must be followed in the courtroom. There can be restrictions on the types of witnesses you can use to prove your case. Furthermore, there are types of questions and phrasing that are not allowed in the courtroom and an experienced lawyer understand these procedures.
If you choose not to hire a personal injury lawyer, it is very likely that you won’t receive all of the compensation you deserve.
Hiring an attorney means you have the peace of mind that all paperwork is filed correctly, all damages are recovered, and that you don’t have to worry about missing any legal nuance or regulation that can end up costing you damages, or worse, the case.
If you have been injured in an accident and wonder when you should hire an attorney, contact Carabin Shaw day or night, 7 days a week and schedule a free Consultation with no obligation. 1.800.862.1260