Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident
Whether you’re located in San Antonio or elsewhere, the steps to take after a motorcycle accident are crucial and can largely implicate your insurance coverage or any other legal disputes that may come to light post-accident. It will also help you in filing your insurance claim. San Antonio motorcycle accident lawyers at Carabin & Shaw are always available to help you navigate through this process.
With so many cars on the road, being careful and aware when operating a motorcycle isn’t always enough. Other people’s driving can have extreme implications on you and your motorcycle while sharing roadways. San Antonio is notorious for large amounts of traffic and extremely crowded roadways. With so much activity taking place at all times, motorcyclists are often victims of accidents. Take note of the steps to take after a motorcycle accident below and remember that lawyers and attorneys in the San Antonio area are always available to ease the process.
- Seek medical attention: If you or anyone involved in the accident seem injured in any way, shape or form, seek medical attention immediately. Remember that not all injuries are visible. The most important thing to do is make sure everyone is ok before proceeding with the steps below. You are not held responsible immediately if you place a call for help.
- Call the police: The sooner the police are dispatched to the scene, the quicker things can begin to be resolved. Call your city police immediately after an accident.
- Gather pictures and information: Be sure to get the names, detailed contact information, driver's license numbers, insurance information and vehicle descriptions, (such as color, make, model, license plate number, VIN number) from all the drivers involved in the accident. If you are unable to do this, ask someone to do this for you. If the police are involved by this point, they will also be able to assist you and begin your police report which is an essential document when proving your case. Be sure to take notes and pictures of the scene as soon as possible. With major accidents the small details can easily slip your mind and become a problem moving forward with your case.
- Notify your insurance company: Be sure to call your insurance company as soon as possible after an accident. Be mindful of admitting fault immediately as this can affect or reduce your rightful compensation. Use your notes and photos to help describe exactly what happened and be sure to not leave out any details. You are not required to make a statement to the other driver's insurance company or your own.
- Keep all records: Keep all receipts, police reports, medical records, records of communication, photos and all other accident-related collateral during this time. Documents like these can be beneficial when proving your case. Attorneys will also request this information of you as they investigate and work to financially compensate you for the accident you have experienced.
- Contact an attorney: Notifying and consulting an attorney is extremely beneficial especially in the case that you were seriously injured or are running into speed bumps as you begin to seek financial compensation through your insurance claim. Attorneys, especially those at Carabin & Shaw, often help expedite often dragged out processes, and also work to ensure you receive the maximum compensation possible for your claim.
Motorcycle accidents unfortunately occur often in and around San Antonio, but following the steps to take after a motorcycle accident and contacting an attorney can help ease the often painful process. If you or a loved one is confronted with a motorcycle accident, contact Carabin & Shaw at 210-222-2288, or toll-free at 1-800-862-1260.