After an Oilfield-Oil Rig Accident
At Carabin & Shaw, our San Antonio oil rig accident lawyers are here to help you recover from any injuries you may have sustained at work on or near an oil rig. Pumps and diggers are tirelessly working to produce oil for their respective owners. Let our attorneys work just as tirelessly to protect you, your loved ones, and anyone you may know who has suffered from oil and gas accidents in San Antonio and surrounding areas.
After an oilfield / oil rig accident, it is very important you take the following steps:
- Inform your employer of the accident - This may seem like the sort of common sense that does not need to be stated, but not informing your employer of an accident can hurt your case from a legal point of view. If you are reading this after the fact, and you failed to inform your employer, do not worry—the lawyers at Carabin & Shaw, located in San Antonio, can help you explain why you did not take this step.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible - Again, for most people this might seem nonsensical to state. But from a legal standpoint, making sure you receive all the care you are entitled to is a huge part of determining the appropriate amount that the other parties' insurance companies need to provide. Also, remember that you are seeking medical attention for more than your immediate injuries. Exposure to certain harmful chemicals and fumes, prolonged adjustment to higher-than-average temperatures, and other workers compensation-related factors might lead to chronic pain, and our attorneys can make sure you are covered for that suffering now and in the future.
- Document the details of the accident and your injuries - After an oilfield / oil rig accident, be sure to take pictures of the accident scene, your injuries, damage done to nearby equipment (tools, roadways, fences, etc.) and natural features (trees, shrubs, rocks, etc.). If you are unable to take pictures in the immediate aftermath of the accident, write down everything you can remember about how the scene was before the accident, and our lawyers will help fill in the blanks.
- Obtain names, addresses and phone numbers of witnesses - Whether the people who observed the accident live in San Antonio or elsewhere, whatever information they can provide can be incredibly useful for your case. Be sure you are including people in surrounding area, and not just those on-site.
- Document keep all receipts for medical care - In the hustle and bustle of an injury, we only remember a doctor's name so we know who to call for if things get worse. As such, it is important to keep every piece of paper given to you at the hospital. In San Antonio, some doctors will bill you separate from the hospital, the way a contractor on an oilfield might. This happens when several E.R. doctors are on-call, but not all of them work exclusively for the hospital. Same thing goes for ambulance services—on a busy night, or if your accident is between hospitals, other EMS vehicles can transport, and bill you, for their services. Keep track of all the information you can, so that the offending insurance company takes every expense into account.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury after an oilfield / oil rig accident, Carabin & Shaw can help you! It is important to contact our law firm to speak to a Texas oilfield accident lawyer as soon as possible. The longer you wait to take action after the injury, the more likely evidence may be lost, fewer witnesses can be found, and the more difficult it is to build a solid case.