Next Steps for US Patients Impacted by Valsartan
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently recalled Valsartan, an antihypertensive drug used to manage high blood pressure and congestive heart failure, after the federal agency reported a “detection of impurity” in many valsartan-based products. In a country like the United States, where the leading cause of death is heart disease, doctors often recommend valsartan-based medications; it stands to reason that many people with valsartan problems in the US will need legal assistance when it comes to figuring out the next steps for US patients impacted by valsartan.
If you are one of many Americans who used valsartan after 2014 for at least six months before a doctor diagnosed you with cancer, you may be able to pursue a valsartan recall lawsuit. Meeting with the US product liability lawyers at Carabin Shaw to discuss your options is a crucial first step in determining how to manage your case. Our team knows that pursuing such a large case is daunting, but we promise to use our expertise to advocate for any patient who has been adversely affected by valsartan.Valsartan Cancer in the US: The Facts
If you are trying to determine whether you need the help of a lawyer to sort through the 2018 valsartan recall in the USA, here is some essential information:
1. What caused the recall: Even though valsartan benefits for heart-health are undisputed, researchers recently found traces of a cancer-causing impurity called N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) in some medications that include valsartan. The FDA said that “the presence of NDMA was unexpected” and likely related to changes in overseas manufacture. As a result of this impurity, the FDA officially declared a recall on some valsartan products in 2018.
2. There are varying degrees of risk: The US product liability lawyers at Carabin Shaw know that the severity of the NDMA risk depends on two things: why doctors prescribed the medication in the first place and how high the patient’s dose is. The higher the dose, the greater the exposure to carcinogenic NDMA. These higher doses of NDMA-tainted valsartan have a strong correlation with cancer diagnoses among patients in the US.
3. This is a global issue: The cancer-causing contaminants in valsartan have led to recalls in more than 20 countries, the US included, and citizens around the world now have to reconcile that the medication they took to safeguard their health might have irreversible negative outcomes. If you are one of these people, consulting with an experienced US attorney might give you peace of mind.
4. Not everyone needs to panic: NDMA has not contaminated every valsartan product on the market. As of November 2018, the latest FDA recall of valsartan includes only the following companies and repackaging labels:
- Major Pharmaceuticals
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited
- Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries
- Bryant Ranch Prepack
- A-S Medication Solutions LLC
- Northwind Pharmaceuticals
- Prinston Pharmaceuticals/Solco Healthcare LLC
- H.J. Harkins Company Inc.
- Pharma Pac
- Hetero Labs Inc. labeled as Camber Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Preferred Pharmaceuticals
- Remedy Repack Inc.
- NuCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.
5. You have options: Cases involving the valsartan recall by the FDA are complex, but the US lawyers at Carabin Shaw are here to help you make sense of them. As soon as our team has a firm grasp of the specifics of your case, we promise to seek compensation on your behalf. We are dedicated to helping US patients impacted by valsartan figure out their next steps, and it would be our pleasure to serve you.Call Today: Let a US Attorney With Carabin Shaw Help You
At Carabin Shaw, we know that determining the next steps for US patients impacted by valsartan is not an easy thing to do alone. The good news, though, is that you are not alone: we are here with you. If you have taken valsartan recently, we encourage you to call your physician to determine which version of the drug he or she prescribed. Then, if necessary, give our office a call.
To speak with one of our US lawyers today, call Carabin Shaw toll-free at 800-862-1260. Your initial consultation with us is free, and we won’t charge you unless we win your case. We are standing by, ready to listen.